Sunday, December 26, 2010

doing a good deed I thought

I Bought the House where I live now in 1964, there was only 5 more out here this side of Burns Nursing Home, and we have been here 46 years, and there is Houses everyiwhere now. I tell you there has been some trying Times in the last 46 Years, but I won't get into that.

anyhow one Evening in the summer I was Earing Supper and I saw a young Calf pass by the Porch, it wasn't very old because it was still Brown, there is a deep Holow behind my House and there was a Spring down there , and we had a Pump in it and that is where we got our Water, well the Calf went off down there, and in a Minute there was a Boy, I know their last Name but can't think now, anyhow he was about 7 , he opened the Screen Door and asked me if I would help him catch that Calf, well he went down that way and they both came up the hill and took off down the Road, J.R.Whitten had built a Lake down at the bottom of the Hill called Lake Leola and when I got done eating I got in the Car and drove down the Road.

got down to that lake and the Calf had jumped in the Lake and was Swimming across, J.R.Whitten had a house behind the Lake and he was down on the Bank on the other side, and he walked on Crutches and when the Calf got close to the Bank he got to waving a Crutch at it and it turned around and started swimming back across, meanwhile the Police had came by and stopped and Me and the Police and that Boy was standing over on the Road side.

I just thought, well this is where the little Calf Drowns, but it didn't , it Swam back across and got out on the Bank and it was really tired, so the Police helped us catch it.

I started to get into my Car and that little old Boy said "Mr would you take this Calf home for me" so I upped the Trunk lid and just picked it up and set it down in the trunk and shut the Lid.

well I knew where he lived, he had 2 or 3 Sisters and his Mama, the Old Woman had her Husband put in Prison about something, anyhow I got about a Block from the old House where they lived and the Boy said "this is far enough let me out Here", I told him "you just live right yonder". so I wheeled him up in front of the House and stopped and opened the Trunk and sat the Calf out.

the old Woman and the Girls were out on the Porch and she called him by his name and asked "Where did you get that Calf?" and he said "a Man gave it to me." I thought UH OOOO , me and the Police had helped him steal it. and they may just Eat it.

one of the Policemen was Tootie Akins so I called him and told him what happened, and he had known me all my life and he said "I know you wouldn't steal nothing like that".

I don't know anything else about what happened to the Calf, but the story got out at Work, I worked at U.S. Reduction in Russellville and they really had a time with that Story over there, I learned that it is best to keep quiet about some things.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy. I just found this blog, and it is one of the most entertaining I have ever read. Mr. Vandiver, you are the same age as my Daddy and his brothers, raised on a pig farm in Missouri. Their stories sound an awful lot like yours! I will let them know about your blog - they will enjoy it very much.

    ReplyDelete